Alco has been serving the machining needs of our customers for 5 decades. Over the years, we have expanded capabilities by continuing to invest in our business so that we can continue to provide customers with the excellent service that they have come to know with Alco.
Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC was founded in Elyria in 1971 when a small machine shop run by Elson Donovan and a partner began machining parts for the hydraulic market. They formed strategic partnerships in the Cleveland area—at the time, a strong economic environment for manufacturers—with Acme Gridley screw machines acting as the backbone of the company. Thanks to forward-thinking founders, hard-working staff and a strong culture, Alco quickly grew.
TIMELINE OF EVENTS
1971 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC was started by Elson Donovan in Elyria, OH.
1984 – Due to a reduction of manufacturing in a competitive plant in Pontiac, Michigan, One of Alco’s customers was in need of parts manufactured. The customer booked up all 12 of the machines available from Alco, which led to increased revenue and expansion.
1992 – Kevin Koepp, together with 17 employees, including managers and floor members, purchased 49% of the company from Elson, turning employees into shareholders and giving them the decision-making power.
1994 – Desiring continued growth, Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC made a large addition to the company and added on to the current location; each year after this expansion, the company added between 5,000 – 10,000 square feet.
Mid-1990s – 2000s – The company continued to grow, eventually $50 million in revenue; Alco committed itself to nonleaded steel production, an early edge over competitors.
2006 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation is acquired by Stone Arch Capital Partners of Minneapolis, MN, a private equity firm; Elson Donovan retires; Kevin Koepp becomes President.
2011 – Blue Point Capital purchases Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC from Stone Arch Capital Partners.
2012 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation opens a new facility in Machesney Park, IL.
2015 – Kevin Koepp retires; DJ Mumma becomes CEO.
2016 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC acquires Lakeshore Fittings, Inc. in Grand Haven, MI.
2017 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC acquires K&M Precision Products Co. in Dexter, MI.
2017 – Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC opens a new CNC and distribution facility in Oberlin, OH.
2018 – MiddleGround Capital purchases Alco Manufacturing Corporation, LLC from Blue Point Capital.
2020 - Alco purchases Manth-Brownell in Kirville NY adding 135,000 square feet of space, over 140 employees and more than 175 pieces of equipment to Alco's footprint.
2021 - Alco acquires Rochester, NY machining company Kaddis Manufacturing. Kaddis has been providing American Made precision machined components since 1939, and is one of the largest and most respected manufacturers of brass and aluminum drain valves in the world.
2022- Alco acquires Teale Machine in Rochester, NY, a complementary, specialty machining business that adds new customers, further strengthens our growing footprint in New York, and further diversifies our capabilities around brass, steel and aluminum materials.
Alco Manufacturing purchased Manth-Brownell in 2020. The company was started by Mr. Vern Brownell in the early 1950’s, in a garage across the street from the company’s current location near Syracuse, NY. In the late 1950’s, Mr. Brownell merged with Mr. Burton Manth of Trex Screw Products to form Manth Brownell. In 1962 they sold the company to the Skinner family, who owned the company up until the Alco acquisition.
The purchase of Manth provided Alco with a 5th location including two buildings totaling 135,000 sqft., over 140 employees and more than 175 pieces of equipment including: multiple spindle automatic screw machines such as Euroturns, Gildemeisters, Wickmans and Davenports, and CNC equipment including Swiss-type Citizens, Nakamura-Tome, Hyundai-Kia and Haas. Manth's customers are from a diverse range of industries and opens up new markets of expertise for Alco to expand and grow.
Since 1939, Kaddis has provided American made precision machined components, and is one of the largest and most respected manufacturers of brass and aluminum drain valves in the world.
The purchase of Kaddis gives Alco 6 facilities and the first with a leading product line stock and custom (brass and aluminum drain valves).
Kaddis was the exclusive supplier of these valves to the U.S. Auto and Truck Industry for over 60 years, recognized as a premier supplier of the highest quality, most reasonably priced drain valves available today.
Alco Manufacturing Corp. LLC purchased Lakeshore fittings in 2016 and is now Alco Lakeshore. Located in Grand Haven, Michigan, this acquisition added over 40 primary production machines, 90,000 Sq Ft. of modern production space and expansion in commercial & consumer markets.
Alco Lakeshore was founded as Lakeshore Automatic Products, Inc. in 1980. In 1989 the company moved to a larger building at its current location and with an addition put on, the plant size doubled in 1994. The name was changed in 2008 to Lakeshore Fittings, Inc. to more accurately describe its mission. The plant grew again in 2013 to its current size of 90,000 square feet and included additional machines, vertical raw material storage racks, and greatly enhanced efficiency.
The company was established in 1945 as K&E Products in a rented building in Dexter, MI. It moved to the current location in 1948. Over the years several building additions were added and the capacity grew significantly. The company was purchased in the 1990's by Ed Krusky and Jerry Morgan and it became known as K&M Precision Products.
In 2017 K&M became Alco after our acquisition – now known as Dexter, it was added to the Alco manufacturing group by way of Blue Point Capital.
Currently Alco – Dexter has 39 Acme automatics, 8 second operation chuckers, and 3 threading machines. Servicing the hydraulics industry with carbon steel, high and low volume parts.